NCPAO · 2023 Audition
Music Director: LÜ Jia
Conductor Laureate: Zuohuang Chen
China NCPA Orchestra is the resident orchestra of the National Centre for the Performing Arts (NCPA), Beijing. Since its founding in 2010, the orchestra has fast established itself as one of the most adventurous and dynamic orchestras in the country and earned an international reputation through extensive performances abroad.
Artists associated with the orchestra included Zubin Mehta, Valery Gergiev, Myung-Whun Chung, Fabio Luisi, Christoph Eschenbach, Shao-Chia Lü, Xian Zhang, Rudolf Buchbinder, Lang Lang, Stephen Kovacevich, Yuja Wang, Jian Wang, Gautier Capucon, Kyung Wha Chung, Vadim Repin, Placido Domingo, Renee Fleming, and Leo Nucci among many others. Lorin Maazel worked closely with the orchestra before his passing and praised the musicians for their “amazing professionalism and great passion in music”.
The orchestra has gained critical acclaim for its performances in NCPA’s opera productions of not only classical repertoires such as Tristan and Isolde, Der Rosenkavalier, Tosca and Aida, but also newly commissioned works like The Rickshaw Boy, The Long March, and The Jinsha River. In its own orchestral concert season, it has consistently presented creative and diverse programmes. The orchestra also gave the Chinese premieres of works by Toru Takemitsu, et al, commissioned and world premiered many works by Michael Gordon, Augusta Read Thomas, Qigang Chen, and ZHAO Jiping et al. Their performance of The Ring without Words with its creator, Lorin Maazel, was released on SONY Classics worldwide. In 2019, the orchestra’s recording of Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 was awarded "Best Orchestral Album" at the 2018 Chinese Audiophile Vinyl Award. In 2021, the NCPAO released Beethoven’s Egmont becoming the first Chinese orchestra to record this masterpiece. In celebration of the decade tenure of its Music Director LÜ Jia, the orchestra will release two albums in 2022, including Bruckner's Ninth Symphony and a selection of live recordings conducted by LÜ Jia.
Alongside its concert series, the orchestra has received widespread praise for its international appearances at the Kissingen Summer Music Festival and the Schleswig-Holstein Musik Festival and concerts in many cities in Germany, as well as in some countries and regions such as Sydney, Singapore, Seoul, Daegu, Abu Dhabi, Taipei and Macau. In 2014, the orchestra undertook its first North American tour and returned in 2017, where it performed at Carnegie Hall, Chicago Symphony Center, Davies Symphony Hall and other major venues in the US and Canada, under the baton of LÜ Jia. Musical America praised its “joyful confidence and youthful strength”. Concerto Net described it as “a polished, first rate ensemble”. April 2022 saw the orchestra complete their first six-city national tour, which Music Weekly praised as "a series of sophisticated programs in concerts that blew the roof off. "
Orchestra Expansion Initiated
Echoing the NCPA’s expansion to its third site, the Beijing Performing Arts Centre located in Beijing Sub-center, the NCPA Orchestra is also opening a new chapter and initiating the expansion of the orchestra. The NCPA Orchestra is now in search of talented and well-trained orchestra musicians globally.
Beijing Performing Arts Centre
1. Principal: Tuba, Timpani, Keyboard
2. Co-principal: Second Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, Horn, Trumpet, Trombone, Timpani, Percussion, Harp
3. Associate principal: Cello, Double Bass, Oboe, Horn, Trumpet, Bass Trombone, Percussion
4.Tutti players: Violin, Viola, Cello
Date: April & June 2023; exact date TBD
Location: NCPA, Beijing, China
Deadline of Application: April 10th, 2023
Candidates who pass the audition will sign a contract of full-time employment with the orchestra and formally become a member of the Orchestra after passing the probationary period.
All members of the Orchestra receive rank-based monthly salary, rehearsal fee and performance fee, plus allowances for housing, working meal and instrument accessories, and are entitled to 4 weeks of annual vacation, 4 weeks of personal leave and related social insurances.
1. Applicants should be of sound character and possess good professional ethics, performing experiences with a professional orchestra is required.
2. Able to rehearse and communicate with others in English.
3. An applicant can only attend the NCPAO audition once in a natural year.
Materials required for application include:
1. Personal information submitted through online application platform
2. Copies of ID card / Passport, graduation certificates, diplomas, award certificates and other professional certificates (if any).
3. A colored 2-inch ID photo in jpg. or png. format.
4. Audio recording of the applicant playing selected pieces from the “2023 China NCPA Orchestra Audition Repertoire”: one solo piece and one orchestral excerpt.
Please gain access to the application platform of NCPAO audition through the link or QR code below, fill in all the required information and upload files as required.
1. Solo Repertoire: Please refer to “2023 China NCPA Orchestra Audition Repertoire” (Click to Download). Content should be exactly as per requirements and set list. Please note that failing to adhere to the requirements may result in disqualification.
2. Virtuoso Piece: Piece or pieces between 5 to 10 minutes that best showcases your technique and skills.
3. Orchestral Excerpts: Please see “2023 China NCPA Orchestra Audition Repertoire”. For requesting listed excerpts, please submit applications via the application platform first. Scores will be sent to qualified applicants via email.
4. Sight-reading: One or more excerpts will be provided during the audition for sight-reading.
The Audition Committee of China NCPA Orchestra reserves the right to reject any candidate it deems unsuitable. All information pertaining to the auditions will be sent by e-mail to the applicants.
*To download the file of audition repertoire, please visit:
NCPA Orchestra Office at National Centre for the Performing Arts
No. 2 Xichanganjie St., Xicheng District
Beijing, China, 100031
Phone: +86-10-66550522 or +86-10-66550521
Contact: Mr. Tan
*The Audition Committee of China NCPA Orchestra reserves the right to reject any candidate it deems unsuitable. All information pertaining to the auditions will be sent by e-mail to the applicants.